Sunday, February 5, 2017

NSA Orange County Chapter January 26, 2017 Meeting Update


I know this is a little late, but I’ve been up to my neck in rabid gerbils with stuff to do. It never ends. I’m going somewhat from memory here so I may not have captured everything.

Six people were present, the best turnout we’ve had in awhile.  I hope this is the start of a trend. Two new members were present – welcome Jenifer & Reema! These two ladies were past co-chapter leaders of the Long Beach NSA chapter. That chapter is no longer meeting, but Jenifer & Reema hope to get it going again. A regular member of the Riverside chapter was also present. He’s becoming an NSA junky like me, regularly attending two different NSA chapter meetings each month.

We started with introductions & the question “Did you include any goals about your stuttering in your New Year's resolutions?” One person said he has the same goal as always: try not to hide my stuttering. And, along with that, try to let myself stutter in front of someone who hasn’t heard me stutter. Another person wants to “ignore” his stuttering. By this he meant he wants not to be so much aware that he stutters, as it uses a lot of energy & time. Another person plans to return to speech therapy after a 5-year hiatus.

Next we did Table Topics, with each person speaking for about 5 minutes. Topics included: “What’s the hardest part of your job?” “What has been your greatest adventure?” “What is your favorite place to visit?” “Have sports gotten out of hand?” and  “Where would you like to visit that you haven’t yet?” Again, table topics is a good way for people to talk in front of others and practice any fluency techniques in a safe environment.


That's all for now. There may not be a meeting on February 9, but there will definitely be one on February 23. Matt & I will keep you posted. Gotta get back to those gerbils.

No comments:

Post a Comment